Bellowhead - New York Girls

 


As I walked down to New York town, a fair maid I did meet

She asked me back to see her place, she lived on Barrack Street


  And away, Santy, my dear Annie

  Oh, you New York girls, can't you dance the polka?


And when I got inside the house, the drinks were passed around

The liquor was so awful strong, my head went round and round

And then we had another drink before we sat to eat

The liquor was so awful strong, I quickly fell asleep


When I awoke next morning, I had an aching head

And there was I Jack all alone, stark naked in me bed

My gold watch and my money and my lady friend were gone

And there was I Jack all alone, stark naked in the room


Looking round that little room, there's nothing I could see

But a woman's shift and apron that were no use to me

With a barrel for a suit of clothes, down Cherry Street forlorn

Where Martin Churchill took me in and he sent me round Cape Horn


  So, sailor lads, take warning when you land on New York shore

  You'll have to get up early to be smarter than a whore.


      Folking brilliant! The lyrics tell us a story as old as the world: a boy being seduced by a wise girl. I quite enjoyed the Steeleye Span version, but this one reminds me of the Pogues, as a band.

Sem comentários:

Arquivo do blogue