Karine Polwart with Pippa Murphy - All on a Summer's Evening



      "All on a Summer's Evening" from Polwart's new album, A Pocket of Wind Resistance. The song, she says, is "rooted in the ecology and history of my local heather moor by Fala Flow, Midlothian, south of Edinburgh. All on a Summer's Evening rests upon the traditional song Skippin Barfit Through the Heather. It's an introduction to the wide magical space of the moor, and to the story of a local couple, Will and Roberta Sime, which threads through the album." Great with pure silence.

As I was walking down yon hill
All on a Summer's evening
There I spied a bonny lass
Skipping barefoot through the heather.

And oh, but she was neatly dressed
She neither needed hat nor feather
She was the queen among them all
Skipping barefoot through the heather.

She wore a gown o' bonny [?]
Her petticoats were a pheasant colour
And in between the stripes were seen
Shining bells of blooming heather.

Oh dear lass would you gan with me?
Would you gan with me and leave your heather?
Silks and satins ye shall wear
If you gan with me and leave your heather.

[Interlude]
Oh oh oh oh...

Sem comentários:

Arquivo do blogue