Maura O'Connell and Karen Matheson - Down by the Salley Gardens



   Lyrics: by W. B. Yeats 1889

   fiddle: Aly Bain
   accordion: Donald Shaw
   flute: Ronan Browne
   dobro: Jerry Douglas
   guitar: Russ Barenberg
   bass: Danny Thompson



Down by the salley gardens
   my love and I did meet;
She passed the salley gardens
   with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy,
   as the leaves grow on the tree;
But I, being young and foolish,
   with her would not agree.

In a field by the river
   my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder
   she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy,
   as the grass grows on the weirs;
But I was young and foolish,
   and now am full of tears.


      It has been suggested that the location of the "Salley Gardens" was on the banks of the river at Ballysadare near Sligo where the residents cultivated trees to provide roof thatching materials. "Salley" or "sally" is a form of the Standard English word "sallow", i.e., a tree of the genus Salix. It is close in sound to the Irish word saileach, meaning 'willow'.

Sem comentários:

Arquivo do blogue