The Voice Squad - As I Roved Out


As I roved out on a fine May morning To view the meadows and flowers gay, Who should I spy but my own true lover As she sat under yon willow tree. I took off my hat and I did salute her, I did salute her most courageously. When she turned around, well the tears fell from her, Sayin', "False young man, you have deluded me!"

"For to delude you, how can that be my love
It's from your body I am quite free.
I'm as free from you as the child unborn is
And so are you too, dear Jane, from me.
A diamond ring I owned I gave you, A diamond ring to wear on your right hand. But the vows you made, love, you went and broke them And married the lassie that had the land.” “If I'd married the lassie that had the land, my love, It's that I'll rue till the day I die. When misfortune falls sure no man may shun it, I was blindfolded I'll ne'er deny.” Now at nights when I go to my bed of slumber The thoughts of my true love run in my mind. When I turned around to embrace my darling, Instead of gold sure it's brass I find. And I wish the Queen would call home her army From the West Indies, Amerikay and Spain, And every man to his wedded woman In hopes that you and I will meet again.


Um pedaço da alma irlandesa. Ali no pub, as velhas harmonias de um povo que nunca deixou de cantar o melhor de si. Kate Rusby no album Hourglass refere-se assim a esta canção: "A very well-known Irish ballad from around Napoleonic times. It tells the sad story of lovers separated by a governmental decree that single men, for monetary reward, should marry the wives of landed lords away at war so that the land would still be worked." Estranhos costumes.

Sem comentários:

Arquivo do blogue