Leonard Cohen - Show me the place



Show me the place where you want your slave to go
Show me the place I've forgotten I don't know
Show me the place for my head is bending low
Show me the place where you want your slave to go.

Show me the place help me roll away the stone
Show me the place I can't move this thing alone
Show me the place where the Word became a man
Show me the place where the suffering began.

The troubles came I saved what I could save
A thread of light, a particle, a wave
But there were chains so I hastened to behave
There were chains so I loved you like a slave.


Nota: Thank you, Leonard. You dared again to describe our condition facing God, our hurting nature. We are eager to look for something to 'roll away the stone' or a fake to desguise loneliness. Do we really need to become aware?...António.

Nota: As sementes desta canção-oração estão nos Evangelhos segundo São Mateus: 28:6 'Come, see the place...', 28:2 '...roll away the stone' e São João 1:1, 14 '...where the Word became a man'. Um judeu lê o Novo Testamento frustrado com essa Nova Aliança. A antiga frustração que já existia em canções anteriores tais como: Suzanne, Who by fire e If it be your will.

Nota: Em outubro 2011, ao receber o prémio Principe das Asturias, Cohen referiu 'As I grew older, I understood that instructions came with this voice. And the instructions were these... Never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty.'

2 comentários:

José Rafael disse...

O lamento em poesia é o pior lamento. Só os cientistas deviam lamentar. Muito menos os cantores. J.R.

David disse...

Não se trata de um lamento.
Mas de um hino.
Só os piegas se lamentam.
Este poema é um hino impregnado de ressonâncias religiosas e filosóficas sobre o amor e a nossa condição finita e mortal.

Arquivo do blogue