Ye Vagabonds - Barbara Allen



      Os irmãos Diarmuid e Brían Mac Gloinn são os Ye Vagabonds. É uma versão bonita de uma "old Scots Irish song from the southern Appalachian mountains in the U.S.A.". Ouçamos, também, a versão de Joan Baez. 


In Scarlet Town, Where I was born there was a fair maid dwellin'
Made every youth cry "Well-a-day" for the love of Barbara Allen

'Twas in the merry month of May when green buds were a swellin'
Sweet William came from the west country and fell in love with Barbara Allen.

He courted her for seven long years 'til his heart in him was failin'
And begged his love to marry him but "No" said Barbara Allen.

Then on a somber autumn day when all the leaves were fallin'
Sweet William on his deathbed lay for the love of Barbara Allen.

He sent his servant to the town, to the place where she was dwellin',
Sayin' "You must come to my master dear, if your name be Barbara Allen."

"For death is printed on his face, and o'er his heart is stealin'
Then haste away to comfort him, oh lovely Barbara Allen."

So slowly, slowly she came up and slowly she drew nigh him
And the only words to him did say were "Young man I think you're dyin'"

"Oh yes, I'm sick and very low and death is o'er me dwellin',
But better, no better, I ever shall be if I can't have Barbara Allen."

"You may be sick and very low, and death be o'er you dwellin,
But better, no better you ever will be for you can't have Barbara Allen...

Don't you remember in yonder town, in yonder town a-drinking?
You gave a toast to the ladies round, but you slighted Barbara Allen."

"Oh yes, I remember in yonder town when we were in the tavern,
I gave a toast to the ladies 'round, but gave my heart to Barbara Allen."

"If on your deathbed you do lie, what needs the tale you're tellin'?
I cannot save you from your death. Farewell," said Barbara Allen.

He turned his pale face to the wall, as death was drawing nigh him.
"Adieu, adieu, to my friends all. Be kind to Barbara Allen."

As she went walking through the fields, she heard the birds a-singin',
And as they sang, they seemed to say: "Hard-hearted Barbara Allen!"

As she walked further through the fields she heard the death-bells ringing,
And every note to her did say: "Hard-hearted Barbara Allen!"

Her eyes looked east, her eyes looked west she spied the corpse a-comin
"Lay down, lay down the corpse!" she said, "That I may look upon him."

And as she looked upon his face, she bursted out a-crying,
"Oh pick me up, and take me home, for now I am a-dyin'."

"Oh mother, Oh mother, go make my bed, make it both long and narrow
Sweet William died for me today and I shall die tomorrow."

"Oh father, oh father, go dig my grave dig it both long and narrow,
Sweet William died of love for me and I shall die of sorrow."

"Hard-hearted creature, him to slight, who hath loved me so dearly -
Oh, that I'd been more kind to him when he was live and near me.

She on her deathbed as she lay begged to be buried by him
And sore repented of the day that she did e'er deny him.

Barbara Allen was buried in the old churchyard and William they buried nigh her
Out of William's heart, there grew a rose out of Barbara Allen's, a briar.

They grew and grew up the old church wall 'til they could grow no higher,
And there they formed a true love's knot - the rose wrapp'd round the briar.


      No diário de Samuel Pepys, na página do dia 2 de Janeiro de 1666, encontra-se esta versão considerada a mais antiga que se conhece. Muitas outras se seguiram, geralmente com uma selecção coerente de estrofes. Os versos descrevem o destino de um nobre que está a morrer por uma donzela de nome Barbara Allen, um dos seus criados foi à sua procura e ela veio até ao seu leito de morte. E a história continua até uma rosa lhes crescer na sepultura e se entrelaçar em forma de nó. 

Sem comentários:

Arquivo do blogue